All three Churches are however very different, to give you an idea of how different there are some pictures at the bottom of this page but for a true impression contact the Vicar and come and have a look 

St Margaret's at Darenth is quite small and really picturesque. It conveys a sense of true village charm and prayerful quietness. It seats around 90 people and if requested services can be conducted wholly by candlelight. It has a pipe organ but the three bells there only chime.

St Mary's is another village Church but much bigger than St Margaret's it seats around 150 and has a full peal of 8 bells, a pipe organ and a processional entrance through the West door.

St John's at Sutton-at-hone is the largest of the three Churches and is set in a large and beautiful church yard tucked away off the beaten track. The organ there is electric and again the bells only chime

Then, you need to know that wedding and marriage blessing services can be arranged at any of the Churches at any time throughout the year and that you can marry in them if you can show:

That one of you has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, click here to see if you live or lived in the Parishor

  • was baptised in the parish, or

  • was prepared for confirmation in the parish, or

  • has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or

That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:

  • has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or

  • has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or

That one of your parents or grandparents:

  • was married in the parish

And did you know that if you move house, you’re immediately connected to the church there? That means you can marry in the church of your new parish.

In all cases involving church services - i.e. going to normal church services, baptism, confirmation or marriage - this applies only to Church of England services. Even if you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, we want to help you explore whether it may still be possible for you to marry in your special church.

The government has however recently introduced a new rule that applies to all marriages being conducted in Churches after April 2015. This rule states that to be married by Banns (the usual way Church weddings are conducted) you or your fiancee must be a British Citizen and will need to produce proof of this such as a passport. 

If one of you isn't a British Citizen you can stil be married in Church but you must first go through legal preliminaries with the Civil Registrar. If this applies to you then phone the vicar and we can talk about the best approach for you.

In any case if you are thinking about getting married in Church you should contact the Vicar/Church Warden well in advance to discuss the options open to you.

How much does it cost?

Cost varies depending on how big you want your wedding to be and to some extent depending on which Church you want to be married in.  

Details of basic costs can be found on this website but in general you can by married in this benefice for as little as £526. This basic legal (or statutory) fee includes the cost of the Vicar, the church, calling your banns, the marriage certificate, lighting and all administration. 

The statutory fee doesn't include extras you may choose or decline. These are things like having a verger, heating the church, having an organist, bells or choir. You do not have to have any of these, but if you choose them they will cost extra. The costs for each will be at your church's local rate.

Getting your banns read if you aren't getting married in one of our parishes

If you are getting married in another parish and need your banns read you will need to contact the Vicar and complete a banns application form. Your banns will be read on three consecutive Sundays within 3 months of the date of your wedding. Once they are read you will need to collect a 'banns certificate' from the Vicar which you must give to the priest marrying you, without this certificate you will not be able to be married in Church. There is a fee for the certificate and reading your banns which is currently (2017) £41.


Inside St Margarets

Two views of St Margaret's Darenth